Sunday 21 November 2010

Dick Gaughan



'I raise up my glass and drink deep of its flame
To those who have gone who were links in the chain
And I give my soul's promise I give my heart's pledge
To outlaws and dreamers and life at the edge'
Dick Gaughan ©Grian Music 2001

Dick Gaughan is a Scottish folk and protest singer, and a man who talks a lot of sense. A loveable troublemaker through and through, he is a writer of the some of the most witty and thought provoking modern folk songs but also a master of traditional balladry. His subject matter is gloriously varied (and often surprisingly educational!) ranging from the protestant preacher Jack Glass ('The Devil and Pastor Jack') to 18th century philosopher and revolutionary Thomas Paine ('Tom Paine's Bones').

For more info check out his website (built and maintained by Gaughan himself)  http://www.dickgaughan.co.uk/main.html

'Craigie Hill'


This is 'Now Westlin Winds' (words by Robert Burns), a particular favourite of Gaughan's.

Here is a more recent classic, (and a particular favourite of mine!) an interpretation of a Brian McNeill song that seems made for Gaughan, 'No Gods'. (skip to 5mins)



No comments:

Post a Comment